Old August 6th 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

Cost is a non-issue.

First let me apologize for going even more off-topic with this rant. Thank you. Now on with the rant:

I don't begrudge anyone having the bucks (or willing to take on the debt) to own the nice stuff. In fact, I admire and envy you guys who have the latest and greatest. Good on you! I would just ask that you please realize that cost IS an issue. With all due respect, cost is very much an issue for some of us. I fly a $10k, 50 year-old glider with a damned odd trailer, not because I like being cheap, but because that is what I can afford. I just love guys with more money in their instrument panel than I have in my whole racing rig (including the tow vehicle) telling me that "cost is not an issue".. Especially when the costly gadgets being pushed are buggy, temperamental, and tend to keep eyes IN the cockpit.

Oh, and yes, I have flown with a PowerFlarm at a Nationals. Seemed to work OK but I'm sorry to report that I did not have the "IT SAVED MY LIFE" experience. Maybe I just did not spend enough time looking at the Flarm display.

WB
H301 Libelle #19