Old November 22nd 18, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default MIT's Ion-drive sustainer takes flight

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 09:59:05 -0800, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
wrote:

I saw that on a car forum. While interesting, I wish they had a RC
modeler help with rigging the craft. I also wonder how much the launch
device added to the flight distance......basically, would it have gone
close to as far just due to the launch?

I'd guess they had model fliers involved: the wing looks very much like a
free flight model wing and looks to be about the same size (2.5m span) as
a modern F1A wing and the flying speed looks similar to an F1A as well.

I looked for a launcher but couldn't see one, so maybe it was hand
launched. That would be easy enough: use a timer to turn on the high
voltage after its 1-2 meters away from the launcher. The launch looked
nice and smooth, which also points to a model flyer doing it.

Also, MIT is Mark Drela's home territory: he's long been heavily involved
in RC soaring and low speed aerodynamics and is the man behind X-Foil.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org