Old July 16th 20, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default How accurate are the OLC AGL traces?

Like most pilots who log flights on the OLC I watch the daily flights and I like to see whats going on out in the wild blue today.

Question: How accurate are the AGL statistics at the bottom of the traces?

Today for instance, There was a pilot of of Ely who got within 59 meters of the terrain and one out of Minden who got within 6 [! ] meters of the terrain, so says the OLC trace.
Are these numbers accurate? I see these very close to the mountain AGL numbers ALL the time.

Seeing the recent fatality in Ely due to hitting the mountain I think we might need to readjust our safety minimum's.

I don't know about the East but flying out West in the summer, I think we all need to be more careful in regards to flying close to the ground, being it a mountain, whatever.
What do you guys think?
Trying to fly safe in 2020
Nick