Old September 27th 17, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Default 737 vs glider

I've been in 3 close calls with big iron while flying my glider inside the mode C veils N of PHL and also W of EWR. In all 3 cases I'm convinced that my Trig TT21 was a lifesaver. All occurred at about 6,000 MSL.

There were several things that were impressed on me as a result of these encounters. First, it is absolutely amazing how quickly these aircraft close on you from the time you first see them. Second, being 500 feet under a 747 or 737 in a glider is absolutely terrifying! Third, it was very difficult for me as a private pilot to dig out the needed SID or STAR information from paper charts - the advent of the geo-referenced SkyVector charts is a real step forward.

Finally, don't count on having 500 feet separation. The legal variance on altitude encoders is +/- 125 feet, so you might be as close as 250 feet!

-John, Q3