Old November 25th 03, 03:15 PM
Michael

(Paul Tomblin) wrote
Is this a plane you've owned for a while, or one that you've bought
recently?

I'm not Dennis, but I've just renewed my insurance for the third time
and I paid $2500 for a mil of liability and $85K of hull. I've also
seen quotes of over $7000 for the same coverage on the same plane.
The buyer had no multi rating, no instrument rating, and less than 250
TT.

I've heard it's absolutely impossible to get insurance for
buying a twin in a large partnership or flying club, but if they already
had a twin it's possible to renew it (just barely).

By large partnership, you probably mean more than 5 people. Most
insurers treat you as a club at that point.

In any case, you've heard incorrectly. An established club with a
long term favorable claims history that doesn't own a twin CAN get
insurance on one, but it costs big bucks. In general, rental
insurance on a twin costs big bucks. The reason is simple - someone
who doesn't fly a twin a lot is a hazard in one. My insurer won't
even quote you if you don't have 80 hours twin time in the past year.

I've also heard it's
getting much much harder for single owners to get insurance for a twin
unless they owned it a few years ago.

Once again, not true. You can get insurance, but if you're not
qualified you can expect to pay through the nose. If you're
multi/instrument rated and current, it's no big deal.

Michael