Old November 6th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Default Nav lights/switching power supplies

A. A magazine article is not a technical journal. Switching power supplies
CAN have noise. Linear power supplies CAN oscillate. There are no "Design
Notes" in ANY of my articles; you are expected to have at least a passing
knowledge of the art.

B. Sarangen said that there are problems with noise generation in switchers
and it is general knowledge in the electronics industry that this is so. I
didn't see in Mr. Sarangen's "Design Notes" how he tested a switcher in his
application and what his conclusions were with any conceivable permutation
of avionics. However, there are noise problems with ANYTHING that generates
a signal, all the way from any nav or com radio that was ever made, GPS,
Loran, and the whole spectrum of electronic devices.

C. As to putting "Experimental" in the title of the article, would you once
again tell me what magazine you saw the article in? Did that give you a
passing clue?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Jim,
Sorry, I didn't see "It all depends on how you build it" in the
"Design Notes" section of the last article. In the August issue of
Kitplanes you mention a linear regulator article as a resource--
"Sarangan Article"--but identified the complications of that system.
Sarangan, in his article, stated there are problems with noise
generation with switching power supplies and that is why he chose his
path. It seems, maybe, noise problems should have been at least
mentioned in your article. Another title possibility--"My
EXPERIMENTAL switching power supply".