Old January 6th 17, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Glider Maintenance - Fuselage Rotisserie

In my shop, we have two rollover rings:

* An octagon made from two plies of hardware-store 2x4s, where the plies overlap at the joints. I also made a roller stand for it, but we mostly just set one of the eight edges down on the floor.

* An infinigon (my daughter's term) we made out of a 48" diameter welded steel hoop salvaged from an abandoned kid-sized trampoline. We use it with the roller stand I originally made for the octagon.

In both cases the hoop attaches to the forward lift pin fitting, which by definition can carry several times the non-lifting weight in pretty much any direction. There is also a strut that attaches the hoop to one of the two aft lift pins to prevent the hoop from rotating around the axis of the forward lift pin fittings.

For the aft fuselage we generally just rest the tailboom on a padded sawhorse just forward of the vertical fin. We also have a sawhorse with two rubber wheels for this duty as well. For a finished glider, we girth the tailboom with masking tape where the roller runs so it doesn't scuff the paint.

There are photos in the HP-24 facebook page albums, probably back around October 2015 when we were painting 24-03.

Thanks, Bob K.
https://www.facebook.com/HP-24-Sailp...-200931354951/