Old July 9th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Default homebuilt glider question

Stealth Pilot wrote:
Guys
I defer to the knowledge of regular glider flyers in this matter.
my son is involved in gliding I am involved in powered homebuilding.

is there a wooden glider design or perhaps tube and fabric design that
has reasonable performance, that plans are available for, and can
handle the speeds of being towed aloft behind a pawnee.

the design must be something that a beginner soloing in a puchatec
could handle.

any designs that come to mind or am I wasting time considering this
avenue?

The Maupin/Culver WoodStock (plans built only) would be perhaps
perfect. Problem is the Maupin family no longer offers the plans. Jim
Maupin and Irv Culver are no longer alive. I believe the family was
scared away from providing any of Jim and Irv's plans due to one person
raising a stink about problems he had with a (different) Maupin/Culver
design. However, if you search hard you may be able to find someone
with plans they would sell. By all accounts it is a great little
glider and can easily handle the towplanes.

Regards,

-Doug