View Single Post
Old January 25th 20, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Default Best vario for airmass awareness across the speed range

On Saturday, 25 January 2020 18:04:45 UTC+2, Tim Taylor wrote:
Andrzej is correct. The Borgelt vario is hopefully a good vario, but it is unlikely to find much acceptance. I offered to pay for all shipping costs to try a unit and was informed that Borgelt has never offered units for testing. I had flown with a B50 for many years and had hoped that the new vario would provide an opertunity for Borgelt to begin penetrating the market again. I have been able to test fly most other varios in the past. As an engineer, when a company is not will to let you test what they are selling it is a red flag.

1. Units need to be made available for testing.
2. The user interface needs a complete overhaul to be streamlined like all other modern varios. Today we expect a vario to provide much more information than 20 years ago all in a single package without an external readout that doesn't even fit a modern panel.

I hope the Borgelt vario is as good as claimed and they will invest in putting it in an improved user interface.

I have never ever heard anyone getting a variometer for test from dealer or manufacturer before buying it. Just installing magnetometer properly is easily couple of days work.