Old January 26th 20, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Best vario for airmass awareness across the speed range

krasw wrote on 1/25/2020 9:47 AM:
On Saturday, 25 January 2020 18:04:45 UTC+2, Tim Taylor wrote:
Andrzej is correct. The Borgelt vario is hopefully a good vario, but it is unlikely to find much acceptance. I offered to pay for all shipping costs to try a unit and was informed that Borgelt has never offered units for testing. I had flown with a B50 for many years and had hoped that the new vario would provide an opertunity for Borgelt to begin penetrating the market again. I have been able to test fly most other varios in the past. As an engineer, when a company is not will to let you test what they are selling it is a red flag.

1. Units need to be made available for testing.
2. The user interface needs a complete overhaul to be streamlined like all other modern varios. Today we expect a vario to provide much more information than 20 years ago all in a single package without an external readout that doesn't even fit a modern panel.

I hope the Borgelt vario is as good as claimed and they will invest in putting it in an improved user interface.

I have never ever heard anyone getting a variometer for test from dealer or manufacturer before buying it. Just installing magnetometer properly is easily couple of days work.

Loaning instruments to competent pilots before production begins, and even after
is common. These are the people you want to test your product, so you can catch
problems before they can annoy a larger number of people and tarnish your
reputation. Perhaps Bergelt feels they are past that stage, but it hasn't be
communicated to us.