Old January 26th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Best vario for airmass awareness across the speed range

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 8:12:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
It is my understanding that Borgelt has been testing the instrument with local and experienced pilots for quite some time. Just because they are not located in this country does not mean they are not being tested.

I have an AirGlide vario that I am very pleased with- at least in comparison to other current and past instruments. Although it is somewhat unclear how signals from the inertial platform are incorporated/filtered in the displays, utilizing this real-time data makes a much more useful instrument compared to the long delays associated with pneumatic-dedicated approaches and spurious influences from inertial effects and atmospheric gusting.

Mike Borgelt's stated goal to address the problems associated with the airmass contained in the vertical plumbing of modern systems could yield another significant improvement. We'll have to see.

There is a significant need for another type of soaring instrument altogether which has never been addressed in the market. Paul MacCready, Taras Kicenicuk and I were able to successfully implement such a system in some DARPA funded work in 2002. This is not directly applicable to soaring due to IGC rules re autopilot type controls. To be especially useful within IGC parameters, the pilot interface needs to be sublime and the way it integrates with state of the art TE varios would prove essential. I'm supposed to be retired, but have been kicking some ideas around about doing it. Chip Garner and I would likely work the project together. Ideally, someone younger with lots of energy, marketing and business skills could enter the picture and do something significant with it. I've done my own business and marketing with 5 successful start-ups but don't want to spend the time now. I'm retired, I'm getting to fly more, and I'm traveling.

At the present, I'm stuck while recovering from some recent surgery. Which is why I'm posting to RAS more in the past week or two than the last decade or so. And maybe the influence of some pain meds? :-)

Gary Osoba

Gary, Mike might have been testing the variometer, but I have not seen a single independent article on the performance of the variometer, therefore for me none of it exist. Supposedly a number of pilots are flying with these variometers in Australia, but they are not sharing their experiences.