Old January 25th 04, 04:22 PM
Eric Greenwell

F.L. Whiteley wrote:
Is there really much good news in this?

Only for the people that want to get out of the sport and sell their
glider. For the rest of us, it makes it harder for new people to get
their own glider because old and new are more expensive, it raises our
insurance costs because we have to insure the hull for more, and the
factories sell fewer gliders. The instrument makers sell fewer varios
and flight computers, too. Not many winners when prices go up.

Last time it got out of whack, the Germans came over and bought up several
of the used fleet for refinishing. Didn't hurt the new market much in the
long run, but strained the used market IIRC. Suspect any factory
sponsorship in that effort?

Was it the factories buying them to refinish, or individuals (my
recolletion)?
--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA