Old October 7th 13, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default glider battery duration problems

Please correct me if I got this wrong:

1.LiFePO4 with BMS are less likely to self-ignite compared to other lithium based batteries (or LiFEPO4 without BMS). But LiFePO4 still contain lithium and will make an intense and difficult to extinguish fire should they inadvertently ignite.

2.If an undamaged LiFePO4 battery self-ignites, it is most likely to occur during charging due to a malfunctioning charger or BMS. The battery overheats to the point of ignition due to internal resistance to the current applied by the battery charger.

3.If a LiFePO4 battery is charged while it is in a battery box, it may reach a higher temperature due to a reduced ability to dissipate heat to the surrounding environment. If it is a hot day or if the glider is in the sun, the charging battery will reach a higher temperature.

4.BMS have a fail-safe method of monitoring battery temperature. The BMS will suspend or reduce charging current should the battery temperature exceed a safe level.

5.The BMS makes charging a LiFePO4 battery, without removing it from the battery box in the glider, a safe operation. Manufacturers anticipate this scenario.

6.If I have a 5 AMP master fuse at my LiFePO4 battery terminals and I have a partial short that draws 4.5 AMPs. The BMS will detect any dangerous temperature rise and disconnect the circuit.

7.If the BMS is damaged in an accident, mishandling, or by age-related component failure, all bets are off. A LiFePO4 battery with a damaged BMS will be obviously "dead".