Old September 27th 20, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Landing on the Hudson is cool. Check this out

On 9/26/20 5:32 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 21:48:33 -0700, Doug Levy wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkCofOyxUA

Colour me mystified: what of earth has the Hudson to do with the Gimli
Glider?

The Hudson was Sullenberger's show. BTW, I seem to remember that at the
time he was said to have no glider experience, but that's wrong:
apparently he did have a glider rating at the time and (later?) became a
CFIG, so about the only connection is that the P1 for both the Gimli and
Hudson incidents were glider pilots.

Pardon me playing Captain Obvious, but the both involve landing
airliners with no power and no loss of life. But none of this is
exactly breaking news.

One thing that was interesting from the Gimli incident that wasn't
covered in that clip, the 767 had in-op fuel gauges and was allowed to
make the flight. Not the primary cause of the accident, but would have
provided much earlier notification of a problem than having an engine
flame out.

-Dave