Old February 11th 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How?

Do F-15s and 16s have VHF radios now? Back when I worked on F-4Cs and Es
all we had was UHF, and the F-15s and F-16s I got to look at and sit in
likewise only had UHF. I was pretty annoyed with the news media for
criticizing the Russian fighter pilots that shot down Korean Airlines 007
for not trying to contact the 747 with their radios. At the time our
fighters couldn't have contacted the KAL jet either. Not that that excuses
the Russians for shooting down the airliner.
Scott Wilson