Old February 11th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How?

wrote in message oups.com...
I'm picturing a gigantic bullhorn, but even more pressing to me is can the F-15 fly slow enough to "direct" this
smaller plane?

There are established intercept procedures for GA aircraft. IIRC the
jet would pull alongside the interceptee and try to contact on 121.5 or
use hand signals.

snip

The intercepting aircraft should rock its wings, and if at night flash the navigation lights. The intercepting
aircraft then should initiate a slow turn, normally to the left to the desired heading to egress the area. The
intercepted aircraft should acknowledge by rocking its wings in return and follow while contacting ATC on 121.5 and
squawking 7700. If the interceptor does a quick climbing =90 degree turn without crossing the interceptee's, (is
that a word?) flight path you can proceed. Rock your wings to acknowledge. If the interceptor circles an airport
and lowers his gear he is telling you to land there. He'll turn on his landing light if it is night time.

Source: AOPA Intercept card. I carry one of these in my flight bag. After this discussion, I think I'll put another
one in my map pocket. Surely I'll be able to find one of them. : ' )

Joe Schneider
N8437R