Old May 26th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Default Busted TFR, what to expect?

Newps wrote:

A preflight before every flight? I don't think so. Once a day. Check
the stall warner? Every year at the annual.

I do it once a day, unless the aircraft has been moved by ground
handlers, then I spend an entire extra 15 minutes.

A "three loop" preflight doesn't take more than 15 minutes on my
Sundowner. Maybe an extra 3 is required if I need to clean the windshield.

After removing the pitot cover & cowl plugs:

Loop One (3 minutes) (start in cockpit):
Record numbers
Controls free and correct
Master on
Fuel pump on - chk pressure
Fuel pump off
All lights and pitot heat on
- leave plane, chk all lights, strobes, pitot heat, stall horn
Master off
Flaps extended - leave for loop two

Loop Two (10-12 mins)(grab GATS jar):
Left flap
Left Aileron
Left Tip
Sight Wing
Left LE
Left tie down (remove)
Eyeball left fuel
Drain fuel sample
Check left wheel, tire & brake while cup fills
Check sample, return to tank if OK
Left Nose
Nose Gear
Spinner
Prop
Alternator Belt
Cowl openings
Check Oil & cover security
Right Nose
Drain gascolator
Eyeball and check belly panels and antennae
Eyeball right fuel
Pour gascolator sample in right tank (if good)
Pull right sample as I eyeball tire, wheel and brake
Check Sample
Right LE
Right tie down
Right Tip
Sight wing skin
Right Aileron
Right Flap
Right Static Port
Right Stabilator
Trim tab
Eyeball fuselage skin (both sides)
Rudder
Tail tie down
Left Stabilator
Left Static port
Toss GATS jar back in baggage area
Secure baggage area
Pull chock

Loop Three (20 seconds)
Walk around, viewing overall picture from 10-15 feet away

Clean windshield (if necessary)
Return to cockpit
Retract flaps

Stuff like the lights, stall horn, etc... take what, 5 seconds each to
check during the first orbit? G

This procedure takes almost as long to write out as it does to do, and
automatically checks for ice, ground damage, stolen fuel, etc... Unless
you're flying an airliner, where's the waste?