Old August 29th 18, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default Perlan Climbing

At 12:54 29 August 2018, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 10:39:52 PM UTC-4,

wrote:
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 10:26:19 PM UTC-4,

wr=
ote:
I just can=E2=80=99t get excited about this. Until a guy climbs into

hi=
s sailplane without big money sponsorship or pressure suits =E2=80=9Con
loa=
n=E2=80=9D from NASA and surpasses 49,009 feet, Bob Harris is still the
Kin=
g in my book.
=20
I understand where you are coming from, I love it when people go big

with=
no money. Perlan is also awesome. Sponsorship is just the lever
adventur=
ers use to fund the fun. Behind the 'serious scientific research funded
by=
Airbus' cover story is a bunch of soaring junkies doing cool flights.

Reinhold Messner's "Fair Means" vs "Siege Tactics". =20

The sticky bit is: we all have our own definitions of "Fair Means".

Evan Ludeman / T8

I thought the tricky bit was above "coffin corner" where VNE is lower than
the stall speed,which was why a standard sailplane could not be used.