Old March 27th 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

Default Engine Out Landing. Big Deal?

On Mar 27, 9:47*am, n7ly wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:30*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:

Oh, I thought someone mentioned it in passing. *Always turn into wind..

At 21:42 26 March 2011, n7ly wrote:

On Mar 26, 1:13=A0pm, "vaughn" *wrote:
"Andy" *wrote in messagenews:45b8c464-c350-4983-be8=
... wrote:

.

I have maintained for a long time that power pilot training for

engine
failure had the priorities wrong. =A0Power pilots are taught to set
best
glide speed first. All this does is waste time and altitude going

away
from the landing place if a turn back is the only option.

=A0.When teaching this stuff, remember to mention that turn radius
increa=
ses with
the square of airspeed! =A0An amazing number of power pilots (and even
so=
me glider
pilots) don't know that. =A0Both the bank angle and the airspeed of

that
=
turn are
vitally important.

Vaughn

Nobody has seen fit to bring in runway heading versus runway track
while on initial tow in a significant crosswind. In our neck of the
woods this happens. Is a significant factor in least time/space to get
back to a downwind landing.

Let me restate this a bit for those who don't often have 15 knot
crosswind components.

Should the towplane maintain runway heading after liftoff and after
establishing a normal climb, allowing the tow plane to drift while
maintaining runway heading?
Or should the towplane maintain runway track after liftoff and after
establishing a normal climb, keeping the tow plane on what would be
runway centerline?

It makes a significant difference in how many degrees of turn
necessary as you turn into the wind and get lined up for a downwind
landing.

As a towpilot, I allow myself to drift downwind if possible ( no
terrain to avoid or noise sensitive areas ) to make it easier for a
glider to turn into the wind in case of a rope break.

Todd
3S