Old February 24th 13, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

I think the USRC, although I criticize the power they wield,............the dictatrial nature I dislike.

I vote for letting the US pilots have a choice!
Sean

This "power they wield" and "dictatrial" (sic) nature is a bunch of hooey. US rules work from the bottom up not top down.

If you want to see some merging of US and IGC rules at US contests, get off your butt, write down the actual set of rules you want to use, submit a bid with a request for waiver, and run such a contest. Stop whining for someone else to do all the work.

That's how the system works. It's not top down, or "dictatrial." New ideas start by waiver at regionals. Especially new ideas involving really big changes to rules and procedures.

Even if all the pilots on the poll say they want IGC rules, and the RC all decides we're for it, we would have to follow exactly the same process: find a CD willing to run the experiment by waiver at regionals, write the waiver, get all the details worked out in writing, run the experiment, find the bugs, see if the concept actually works. Poll again to see if pilots like it. Introduce it in regionals. Poll again. Move it to nationals.

US pilots do have the choice! They can run pretty much any contest they want, if they can persuade the RC that the waiver they want makes any sense at all.

You are, in fact, asking for the opposite: for the RC to impose this from the top, without the usual experimentation. Sorry, that's not how it works.

Write the rules
Get a waiver
Run a contest

Until then, stop bitching!