Old July 18th 14, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Contest Class Development for Future Success - The Case fordeveloping the Handicapped Classes

MY PREFERENCE ON COMBINING STANDARD CVLASS AFTER FURTHER
REFLECTION (July 17th)

After further reflection, I'm going to agree with Steve Northcraft and choose to group the STDs with the 15M (and OPENs if necessary). The 15M and OPENs are having trouble getting sufficient numbers as well.

My reasons:

1) Standard Class pilots who compete seriously at the Nats generally are flying top ships (Discus 2, LS-8's) which are similar in performance to the 15M last generation in weak or indecisive conditions.

2) Competing against top 15M National pilots gives the U.S. Team a "head-to-head" comparison of ability when it comes to selecting for the U.S. Team. If STDs were grouped with the Club Class, comparisons would be harder because of different location for the competition and weather.

3) I prefer to fly against the best competition pilots which are generally in the 15M class.

Comments:

1) As far as scoring is concerned, the 15M Nats could remain un-handicapped.. Select the National STD champion from the best placing STD pilots at the 15M Nats. In fact, a trophy could be given to the 2nd and 3rd placing (STD) pilots as well.

2) I'm not opposed to handicapping the 15M Nats for all ships, but this may not be popular with the 15M racers. After all, that's what the CLUB CLASS is for.

3) As long as the STD pilots are given due consideration and ranking with a new U.S. Team selection process, the lack of handicapping the combined STD 15M Nats would not be a problem for me. I understand that a more flexible U.S. Team process is being considered that would recognize performance across classes.

4) If the STD 15M Nats (possibly combined OPEN as well) were on one side of the country while the CLUB CLASS was on the other, that would give STD pilots two venues for being considered and qualifying on the U.S. Team for STD class. The only consideration is that the best placing STD pilot in the CLUB Nats could not hold the title, "STD Class National Champion". Wait a second... why not create two STD Class National champions per year... one from the CLUB CLASS and one from STD/15M (or West and East champion)? Just a thought... added enticement to fly in STD Class.

Walt Rogers WX

PS - After making up my mind where I fall in the combing STD Class issue, I saw Bruno Vassel's announcement about combining STD, 15M and OPENs at Nephi for 2016. That's fantastic! Now, it would make sense to place CLUB CLASS NATS in the Eastern U.S. for 2016. Where will the CLUB CLASS Nats be in 2015?