Old July 18th 14, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Contest Class Development for Future Success - The Case fordeveloping the Handicapped Classes

I expect a lot of people share Steve's misgivings about handicaps - including me. On the other hand, it isn't clear to me how satisfying it is to fly a nationals in a glider where you have to make up as much as 60 points per day. WX and SN did it this year. As more people buy 18+M gliders 15M could face a similar reality.

Some here have said the vision for the future needs to be more bold and radical and others have said even the current state of affairs (allowing the latest generation Standard class gliders to fly in Club) is too radical.

One thing is for sure - the trajectory is down so status quo will likely mean more instances of cancelled nationals, particularly for Standard. Is the answer to tell them to fly OLC since 15m doesn't want them and Club doesn't either?

That makes it relatively easy for the RC and other governing bodies - do as little as possible and let it happen.

That's icky feeling too.