Old April 3rd 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Just wondering.....

The original question was about an L-13 with an experimental airworthiness
certificate to be used for student training. Renting a single seat
experimental aircraft to a rated pilot is a slightly different matter and is
apparently OK with the FAA and the insurance companies. The presumption is
that a rated pilot can be expected to know the risk.

I have no problems with experimenatl aircraft. I own one and work with a
company that rents a Genesis II with an experimental certificate.

The key problem goes to whether a student pilot can be expected to give
'informed consent' to accept the risks of flying an aircraft with a
experimental certificate. The reading I have is that a student pilot, by
virtue of being a student, cannot. That shifts the liability from the
student PIC to the instructor who 'assigned' the solo task to the student
and to the owners of the aircraft.

This would be especially true where the student is a minor and the adult
guardian, who may have signed a waiver of liability, had no aviation
experience at all and testifies assurances of safety were given.

Instructors face way too much liability now and expecting one to instruct in
a trainer with an experimental airworthiness certificate is intolerable.
I'm sure that if it came to a lawsuit, the words 'student' and 'experimental
glider' would figure prominately.

Bill Daniels

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, but you normally can't charge for the experimental aircraft for
rides. However, I believe the someone has an exemption or waiver for
training in the Leza Air Cam.

Several commercial operators have rented experimental single place
gliders.

Section 91.319: Aircraft having experimental certificates: Operating
limitations, makes for interesting reading. Since the advent of light
sport aircraft, some of the rules have changed slightly. Paragraph
(e)2 has a termination date of January 31, 2010, for at least some
flight training for compensation or hire in experimental aircraft.

Frank Whiteley