Old February 2nd 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default VW Reality

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:28:57 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Bob I admire your work so I'm going to irritate you with an argument.
I wish someone would post a concise guide to a style of VW conversion
that is durable and simple. have never seen one that had the tests of
time behind it. 1600 or 1835cc for preference.

as to the hollow part...
in your blog page top photo look at the left side rusty stud.
look just to the left of that stud and you'll see an area where the
metal that the stud screws into doesnt extend to the case outer side.
that is the hollow part I was referring to. bad terminology??

the cracks that occurred in Sig's cases were in the centre of the case
top just to one side of centre. it's the common crack area I believe.

btw to continue your rib baking experiment you should read up the Molt
Taylor, Jerry Holcombe experiments on TPG (Taylor Paper Glass).
they used a medium thickness kraft paper. seems like the stuff that
some paper gaskets are made of. Btw commercial Laminex is/was just
paper sheets and epoxy.the top paper sheet is printed with the
pattern.

keep up the good work. enjoy your posts.
Stealth Pilot