Old September 18th 03, 02:27 AM
Maule Driver

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net
If any are reading, what are you all doing with your aircraft to make it
ready for the storm?

Interesting question. Nothing here in Durham. The Maule is in the hangar.
I expect to lose power for a few days so that puts the Maule out of
commission since I have no other way of raising the electric door. We're
leaving town - it's thrilling but not fun to sit thru that stuff.

Talked to the airport manager. They are policing the tiedowns for loose
materials. I assume a few people have flown out but can't tell.

We expect up to 50 knot winds...

I was hear during Fran and "the other one". Fran ran dead center thru the
RDU triangle area. You never forget the roar of the train. It was real bad
but I don't remember any a/c loses here at 8NC8 (was W65). The "other one"
that ran thru here to the east caused extensive freshwater flooding that did
more damage than the winds of Fran. I flew over a few days later to an
airport using the GPS (either ETC or MCZ). Couldn't spot it until I
realized the underwater rectangles were wings of tiedowned aircraft. There
was a runway shaped oil slick on the water which appeared to be over 8 feet
deep. Everything east of I-95 seemed submerged.