Old July 4th 13, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default DeLorme InReach Satellite Tracker FOR SALE

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:20:54 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:

And what is the monthly cost to have this wonderful service? Sure, the "horrible" Spot is pretty basic - but it's also pretty cheap at $150/year. As far as I can tell, the least expensive DeLorme service runs about $250/year - also for 10 minute tracking!

So, beware the hidden costs and be sure to check out Paul Remde's excellent breakdown of the (complicated!) DeLorme fee structure - and if it fits your needs and budget, go for it!

Me, I'm quite happy with my "horrible" Spot 1. But then, I'm a dinosaur who thinks anyone who spends any time on Facebook or Twitter needs to grow up and get a job... :^)

Seriously - both are great safety systems that are absolutely essential for any XC pilot - get one!

Kirk

66

Kirk,

Hidden costs? So InReach costs more than Spot . . . if they were close to equally capable devices, that might be a fair complaint. When you consider InReach does everything Spot does, only better and more reliably. Plus InReach provides worldwide two-way texting and email capability as well.

The two-way comm, plus the increased reliability of both tracking and SOS functions, is worth $100 a year. Especially when considered against the most recent appraisal of my butt.

bumper

Often being in areas with no cell coverage, I can still have two-way communication via text or email. That's worth the additional $100 a year to me. The additional tracking reliability, considering the value I place on my butt, is priceless.