Old May 3rd 14, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Trailer Chains - To Cross of Not to Cross - That is the Question

On Saturday, May 3, 2014 7:03:01 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
Cross chains... okay. This tidbit should replace one of those un-useful questions on the written test for aspiring glider pilots.

I've added it to my list '1000 and 1 important facts that you should hope to stumble upon before you need them'.

As to premature termination of trailering, there is sure to be a guy out there who puts a 50 mm ball on his truck and then one day rents a U-haul trailer with a worn hitch. Here's hoping that he gets the word about crossing chains.

Story (true)

A volunteer picked up a new club glider in a distant city. The trailer hitch seemed loose on the ball - but what the heck, the other club members wanted to see their new glider so haste was the order of the day.

When the glider and trailer miraculously arrived intact, it was found the tow truck had a 1 7/8" ball and the trailer had a 2" hitch which was now severely damaged. The trailer tower said he didn't know trailer balls came in different sizes and he thought the banging noises were "normal". The safety chains had made the trip neatly wrapped around the tow bar where they were "out of the way".