Old June 23rd 14, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Shipping a glider from western US to Europe

On Monday, June 23, 2014 3:17:41 PM UTC-6, Andy wrote:
On Monday, June 23, 2014 1:51:01 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

I think Wallenius Wilhelmsen was the company that shipped my 28. They serve Port Hueneme with RORO for cars and other rolling equipment. Mine come over with a batch of BMW Minis.

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/customer...cars/index.jsp

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/customer...ment/index.jsp

Andy

I used W-W for ro-ro many years ago, Southampton, UK, to Houston, TX. However, when my chapter was looking at possible two-seater imports from Europe a couple of years ago, port retrieval and ro-ro turned out to be rather more expensive than container point to point. Road fuel is just more expensive now. We are in Colorado, so using Denver as a port and container ship to rail was cheapest bid. Will vary by location of course. Did the same going the other way many years ago, container from Kansas City, Missouri, by rail to a Great Lakes port, out the St. Lawrence to Felixstowe, UK, all in two weeks. Wasn't cheapest, but most convenient.

Frank Whiteley