Old September 15th 15, 02:58 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark628CA View Post
Because the JS-1 normally comes with 18 meter tips and can also be fitted with (optional) 21 meter tips. Naturally, the short tips put it in the 18 Meter class while the long tips place it in the Open class.

Of course, if you really wanted to, you could enter anything in the Open Class- an ASW-27 or even a PW-5 could be entered in Open. Assuming a certain level of mental derangement.

As far as the EB-29 being the "hands down" Open ship, the handling and roll rate definitely hamper this marvelous aircraft in weak conditions. It smokes when the cloudstreets align and running outweighs grinding around in tight 4 kt thermals.

I will take one of each (except the PW-5) when I win the Lottery.

Climbing in tight thermals is what big span ships do best in my experience. This advantage goes away somewhat if the thermals are also gusty and turbulent requiring more control input. (I fly a Nimbus 3D and a Ventus a)

:-) Colin