Old April 1st 19, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

With 200 hours I would stay away from the Ventus w/o winglets unless your instructor says you have plenty of extra bandwidth available while flying and your thermalling skills are already very sound. It's not a glider that you want to learn how to fly XC with.
OTOH, if you are flying in the western US and know for sure you are in it for the long term and only want to buy and fly one glider in the next 10 years and your enthusiasm is high, the Ventus might be a good choice. But it will take you longer to get better at all of the XC skills than if you bought an LS-4 and flew it for 200 hours XC first. As was said, some of the unappreciated but very valuable things about the Ventus are auto hookups, pretty light wings, and it's easy to put water in it. Just pour water into the wing from a hose with meter attached. And it really, really goes. It's the perfect glider for me because I've flown a lot and I can't afford the next generation.
Buy a 4 or 3 or Mosquito or Pegasus or the like, fly it for 200-300 hrs. XC, then buy a Ventus. The numbers are only slightly different but the performance is dramatic and well worth it in my opinion, particularly with water..
An Oudie2 or similar is a very powerful easy to add computer sufficient for navigation. The radio is also important, should be clear and have a functional PTT.
And you should probably consider adding FLARM if it doesn't already have it..
And don't buy anything without a sound Komet or Cobra trailer unless you have hangar access.
Pretty tough to have all that and a good finish for $25K but I wish you success. 10 years ago it was impossible!