Old February 27th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

Default Dual axle sway

On 27 Feb, 23:07, glider wrote:
*The big enclosed trailer was made in the UK and the running gear was
from Germany. * The big Tundra did a good job towing until about 60
MPH when the trailer would start to sway. I'll fix that...easy. I toss
in a couple of bags of crushed rocks in front. No change. Another bag
was added to the front for a total of 120 pounds as I recall.
Amazingly, there was no additional tongue weight. How can that be?
*The sway was just as exciting.
* I'll fix that! Now it has a new single axle and all is well.
*GA

There was a misalignment of the twin axles on the trailer and an
oscillation set up by the conflict between that making the tail of the
trailer sit out slightly and the aerodynamic forces trying to
straighten it up? I had a trailer delivered with a misaligned axle
so it can happen.

John Galloway