Old October 27th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

I spoke to a former World Champion for his observations prior to buying
my LS8. His comment was that forgiving handling, comfort, and good
performance over a wide range of conditions was the primary
consideration for serious competition. A national or World competition
is a pretty draining experience, and I'm partial to LS for the great
and forgiving handling. I do tend to agree that it gives up a little
bit to a well flown D2A on the high speed end during dolphin flight or
"whifferdilling" (though curiously not on the ridge, where I can run
right with them at 100kts or more; maybe a function of my "superior"
wingloading over the guys who can typically squeeze into an A model
:-). But, since most contests are won and lost on the weak days, I
have to say that I would favor the ship that does best there. I will
have a chance to fly a D2B model soon, and it'll be interesting to see
how that feels compared to my trusty steed.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Owain Walters wrote:

I own a Discus 2a but I am yet to learn how to fly
it properly (I think Ben says you need 200 hrs to be
kind as he knows I have about 100 hrs and I fly it
terribly!). I fly in the UK and have on occasion (!)
flown in some pretty weak conditions. The ASW28 is
the only new glider that I have not struggled to out
climb. I feel the LS8 is the best weak weather Std
Class glider. I think that the D2a is noticeably better
than any other Std class glider at high speed.

Owain

PS. Why are people so interested with looking at their
tail?
PPS. You will notice I say "think" and "feel" a lot.
I have not measured anything but my views are from
my experience and anecdotal evidence.