Old February 16th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert11[_2_]

Default From OP Re Wing De-Icing Question - A Few More Questions

Hello,

Not a Physicist, so please bear with me.

The posts here seem to imply that wing icing occurs (mainly), if not
exclusively, on the leading edges, and not on the upper or lower wing
surfaces.

Why ?

If it does occur on the upper surfaces in modern jet commercial aircraft, is
there also
hot bleed air available for this large surface, as there is for the leading
edges ?

If it does occur on modern turboprops, on the upper surface, there is
nothing they can do to remove it.
Right ?

Why did they say that a 180 degree turn "may" help break off ice ?

Thanks,
Bob
---------------------------------

"VOR-DME" wrote in message
In article
,
says...

On Feb 15, 5:41 pm, Tman wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
There's a very good chance the Boston crash might have been tailplane
icing.

Did you mean BUF or did I miss something in Boston?

Yes. I've been dealing with a Boston issue most of the day and my
senior moment quota kicked in. It was Buffalo.
DH

Oh thanks! Spent two hours on the NTSB database trying to figure what
Boston crash we were talking about! :-)