Old September 14th 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default safety in soaring ads

On Sep 13, 9:28*pm, Bill D wrote:
On Sep 13, 3:19*pm, mike wrote:

On Sep 13, 1:42*pm, Brad wrote:

this has got to be the weirdest e-mail yet...........I have an ad on
W&W for a trailer...........as a result of this.....apparently some
dude say's he's been hired to kill me and unless I send him big bucks
I'm dead.

who knew an ad could be so dangerous!

Brad

AKA Monroe Brad by this nefarious fellow..............

Similar thing happened to me about five years ago, and I called the
local FBI office.

Turns out to be a fairly common scam. The FBI told me to ignore it.

Mike

Hmmm. *I'm no lawyer but isn't conveying a death threat by interstate
means a federal crime which falls squarely in the FBI's turf? *They're
probably too busy but if someone could trace the e-mail.... *Maybe
I've been watching too many TV crime shows.

You may recall when an officer of a Colorado club had his name used to
convey a threat to a power flying club in another city. We were able
to ID the IP to the sheriff in the relevant county and said person was
dealt with after a bit of sleuthing.