Old March 24th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

Default Flying to Chicago

Tie down fees at Midway and Chicago Executive are pretty comparable. Both
waive some of the fees with fuel purchase. Getting to Chicago by rental car
from either is probably about the same. But, unless you really need the
mobility, the rental car and parking in downtown will far exceed the cost of
any tie down fees at either location.

A cab to and from Chicago Executive is possible but it will cost you about
$70 one way.

Use Midway and mass transit for the cheapest overall.
--
-------------------------------
Travis
"swag" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 22, 7:54 pm, "DBR" wrote:
I'm planning to fly to Chicago in May, traveling from the south for a
long
weekend of fun in the downtown area. Any ideas for a good airport that
is
reasonable in terms of proximity and convenience? Thanks in advance.

I trained at Palwaukee and flew out of Chicago for about 10 years,
using Palwaukee (now Executive) airport. In terms of proximity to the
loop, Midway is closest and Executive is second. Other reasonable
options are Gary, Dupage, Aurora, Waukegan, Schaumberg, and Joliet.
Midway and Executive(PWK) will probably have the highest tie down
fees, so you will trade driving time to the loop with airport
expenses. If it's not rush hour, the drive is probably about 30
minutes from Midway, 45 from Executive, 1 hour from Gary and
Schaumberg, 1:15 from DPA and Aurora, 1:30 from Waukegan.

A weekend in Chicago isn't cheap, but it's a great city with tons to
do. Enjoy.