Old January 8th 19, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Passing of Derek Piggott

I pored over Mr. Piggott's book before I bought my glider in 2001. I also went to the Albuquerque Convention where he spoke. He was a great instructor and speaker. I also got to meet him for a couple of minutes. He had a great sense of humor. The gliding world has lost a great man!

Chuck Zabinski

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 4:41:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I was privileged to meet Mr. Piggott in 2000 at the SSA convention in Albuquerque. He was to give a presentation, and had informally inquired of the planning committee (of which I was a small part) as to the possibility of us providing a couple of hundred dollars to help defray expenses. He was travelling on his own funds, and one of the committee members asked if this request was really warranted. I spoke up, "His talk is entitled 'Fifty Years of Gliding Instruction.' He is obviously broke."

The funds were authorized, and Derek laughed delightedly when I related the story to him. A true gentleman, and a mighty influence in the world of gliding. Thank you for all of your input.