Old September 3rd 18, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Vermont Fatalities Today

2G wrote on 9/2/2018 2:31 PM:
On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 1:40:09 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 1:58:13 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
Bernie Carris checked me out in the 32 and I don’t recall it being the monster portrayed on this thread. It was bit of a ‘truck’, but I enjoyed flying it, giving rides in it.
And I bet Don Post, who I do not know , was an experience pilot. What ever the cause, I’m reminded of a great article in Soaring on the subject of cascading events leading to an accident, and how important for the pilot to recognize and stop the progression. The writer was also a Doctor who has written several safety related articles. Would someone find and post a link. I would like to read it again.
This may have nothing to do with this accident, I am sadden and sorry to all involved, the families.

R,
You are correct, cascading events frequently cause serious accidents. One killed the last FBO who operated out of our base of Operations in Plymouth MA. in which he was doing a BFR in a powered Blanik sitting on the right side of the ship, teaching the owner of a powered Blanik how to make power off landings, not using the glider runways we put in at PYM that had 1,000 foot displaced thresholds, on a day when the wind shear produced by a Buzzards Bay Sea Breeze front was significantly stronger than normal, the applicant making his first power off landing using the power runway instead of the gli

red to help to wash out pilots in iron curtain country air forces. What I don't
have the time to bring up were the other issues introduced by FAA Belgium during
the certification process that included leaving on a bungy tow hook that had no
release and looked more like a Schweitzer tow hook than the actual tow hook, this
problem only causing one ship to get totaled that was sold by another dealer (we
removed the clips from these tow hooks on the ships we sold).

Steve Fried

Steve,

You must be setting some sort of record for long sentences. One of them broke the meter at 293 words. Consider shortening them and your posts will be MUCH more readable.

Tom

Ditto! More paragraphs, too.