Old January 15th 19, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 8:45:35 PM UTC-8, Charles Longley wrote:
Here’s some good reading-
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing...-g-8082-19.pdf
and
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...117.b&rgn=div9

Not sure what you point really is. An A&P wishing to do an ADS-B Out install in a type certified glider has to just follow AFS-360. They just have to do the minimum of what is described there. As long as the installation is a minor alteration. And In almost all cases in gliders it hopefully is.

An A&P can do whatever else they believe they need to do to comply with regulations if they determine an install is a major alteration and needs further approval. But that can quickly create problems, starting with there is no STC for any install of any transponder in any glider. And the TN70 STC is also not a STC with any gliders on the AML... it's used purely for establishing the pairing of the TT22 and TN70 is approved as required by AFS-360. There are other options than a STC for approval but that should not .be required.

A recent thing I got involved with at the request of Pereguine, the STC holder for the TN70 STC, was to help an FAA DAR out with understand the paperwork/regulations for installation of a TT22+TN70, in a vintage power aircraft with no engine driven system, that FAA DAR was perfectly OK with everything I have basically represented on r.a.s., as was his FSDO. So I am pretty comfortable I have a good enough handle on this and how easy a TN70 install and it's paperwork should be in a typical type certified glider.

If you don't like the associated 337 in this process being called an "advisory 337", then hey you can call it whatever you want. But that's the language I've been using to try to make it clear the STC involved here is not being used as the basis for an installation approval.... and to try to avoid things like folks approaching a FSDO and assuming these are necessarily major alterations and the STC is going to be the the basis for that major alteration.... the poor FSDO folks can then start assuming it is because the folks talking to them are saying it is. Doing this has caused pain for some type certified glider owners trying to get 2020 Compliant ADS-B out installs happening, and I am tying to help other avoid those mistakes.

And the offer is there for anybody looking to do an TN70 install I can help talk them and/or their A&P thought this if they need to, but AFS-360 is hopefully clear enough. I was happy recently when one of the busiest glider A&P IA's I had helped understanding this stuff helped walk another glider repair shop though the process. Happy that the word is getting out here, and more ADS-B Out install are happening, which is great for safety for folks in busy airspace.