Old April 11th 20, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

Default What have we learned from all this?

OP was that Germany has a 0.3% lethality figure.

He is perfectly correct based on the study quoted. In the study they have included all people that were infected now and in the past. The mortality is precisely that. The number of people dying over the total number of infections.

They currently have a bit less than 2% lethality.

No they do not. The 2% is simply the number of deaths over the number of infections that they know off.

The German study is the first one that I know that tries to look at the number of total infections in broader society to calculate the actual mortality rate.

Cheers

Paul

On Friday, 10 April 2020 09:22:55 UTC+10, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yeah, I figured it was something like that.

My take is that none of these "rates" are relevant until the dust
settles.Â* How can anyone quote a death rate when the rate of infection
information is at best a couple of weeks behind and at worst totally
unknown?

But it's giving a lot of reporters and politicians to talk about...

On 4/9/2020 3:10 PM, Duster wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 3:20:08 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Oops, the German study said "0,37 percent",Â* in US speak, that's 0.37%
or 0.0037.
Dan, 5J

Dan; You're smarter than you think. 0.3 percent is indeed 0.37%, .0037 is the multiple.
However, most readers have misinterpreted the half-completed study in Germany. The interim results use both the "swab test" which reveals those presently infected plus the "serological blood test" which reveals those that had been infected but were mostly asymptomatic. Not surprising, those that were no longer testing positive were 7 times more prevalent than those confirmed to be currently infected. So, the "0.37%" figure uses the combined number and does not represent the % lethality of those infected. Another misquote by the OP was that Germany has a 0.3% lethality figure. They currently have a bit less than 2% lethality. It is expected that when the serologic testing is complete world-wide, the infection rate for this virus will be very impressive, and the lethality measured using both IGG and PCR tests will go lower. Don't interpret that to mean the virus is less lethal, it means many more of us caught it than suffered with it.

--
Dan, 5J