Old January 21st 19, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Murdoch

Default FES climb rate at 15kW power?

Shark FES (391kg plus me).. around 2-2.5 knots climb at full power.
Battery empty in 7 minutes (apparently). Haven't tried using up the full
capacity for a climb, not been necessary.

It's more efficient to just cruise home with the vario on 0, you'll get a
longer range out of it. Realistically around 70km without terrain or
accounting for headwind. Less if you climb up to an acceptable cruise
alt.

At 23:18 20 January 2019, Richard DalCanto wrote:
I was looking at the FES manual, and I was curious what climb rates

(in
ft/=
min) people are getting in 18M gliders at the recommend sustained

climbing
=
power of 15-18kW? Are you getting over 3,500ft of total climbing?

hav=
e a JS3 on order with FES sustainer option (because I don't plan on
competi=
ng at the national level I'm not too worried about losing 2 pts from

the
fo=
lded prop on the nose).
Thanks,