Old December 15th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Default Two essential items...

I have no jungle experience but have plenty in the canyons, including
narrow ones, of Utah and Arizona. Also in Ponderosa pine forests.I've
yet to be in a place where the SAT phone wouldn't work. Just my personal
experience. Is it possible that Les was dramatizing his situation for
the show? I'm not familiar with it.

B A R R Y wrote:
RomeoMike wrote:

Lots of places. Google Iridium. I bought one and wouldn't be without
it in many of the places I go.

Did you happen to see the episode of "Survivorman" where they left Les
in the jungle? When filming an episode, he always maintains an
emergency plan which is often shared with the viewers. After all, it's
only entertainment. He mentioned the sat phone and how often he had no
signal during the jungle episode.

I'd personally still carry one, but his experience regarding the
realities of the phone in this situation was interesting.

http://science.discovery.com/convergence/survivorman/survivorman.html