Old July 11th 16, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Dick Johnson methodology for measuring glider performance

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 9:46:10 AM UTC-7, Soartech wrote:
I am curious about what pilots see on their post-flight analysis programs (like SeeYou) or in flight tools (like XCsoar) for their average L/D. Does it compare well with the advertised L/D of your ship? Or is it lower (or higher)?
For me, using XCsoar, the figure displayed is often lower than stated in my manual.

I usually set "bugs" to 6% degradation to my official polar in SeeYou. Through trial and error, this seems to match what I actually see as performance on final glides. Glider is Ventus C with winglets

Matt