Old July 11th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Dick Johnson methodology for measuring glider performance

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 11:46:10 AM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
I am curious about what pilots see on their post-flight analysis programs (like SeeYou) or in flight tools (like XCsoar) for their average L/D. Does it compare well with the advertised L/D of your ship? Or is it lower (or higher)?
For me, using XCsoar, the figure displayed is often lower than stated in my manual.

Depends on how good a pilot you are. I'm not happy unless I see interthermal L/D numbers over 60 due to flying energy lines, often much higher than that, if possible negative (gaining alt.). Best polar L/D is meaningless, we never fly straight at that speed.