Old March 5th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Default A question for any helicopter pilots here

Ricky
Not a strange question at all. Helicopters have HALF the phyxed wing
minimums for IFR.
Ol S&B CFII/RAM

This is not as cut and dried as it may seem... There was an incident a
couple years back where a chopper came zooming down the highway on one
of those days where the tops of the taller trees ~100' were up in
the clag, so he was only 70'-80' off the ground... I could count the
rivets as he went by... I was annoyed over the fact that he was
likely to pile it up and give GA another black eye in the media... So
I called the local FSDO and had a chat with their chief... Bottom line
at this FSDO was that as long as he controlled his speed so that he
could see and avoid obstructions they did not have a problem with him
having to go around the trees and cell towers...

denny