Old November 16th 05, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gear Warning

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.). wrote:
In the current, Fifteenth Edition of Laws and Rules for Glider Pilots of
April 2005 published by the BGA
http://www.gliding.co.uk/bgainfo/doc...ion15final.pdf
in Part 3 Recommended Practices RP26 on page 58 states: -

"UNDERCARRIAGE WARNING SYSTEMS

"RP26. The fitting of systems that warn the pilot of a glider that the
undercarriage is not lowered during the landing approach IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
This is because if such a system is fitted and is activated then the pilot
is likely to attempt to lower the undercarriage during the final stages of
landing. This could result in mishandling the aircraft, so causing an
accident.

"It is also recommended that if the glider is seen on the approach wheel-up,
no attempt is made to warn that pilot, using radio or other means, for the
same reason. The pilot should be allowed to land wheels-up."

I understand that this recommendation was made after accidents where the
warning was considered to be the cause.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message

Nigel Pocock wrote:

Incidentally the BGA in the UK does not recommend an
undercarriage warning buzzer.

As a pilot that has avoided 3 gear up landings because I had a warning
buzzer, I'm curious about the reasoning behind the recommendation.

snip

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

So does the BGA recommend to use a pre-landing checklist where the
spoilers are checked? If the spoilers are checked early in the pattern
then the logic regarding gear warning systems is not very logical.