Old October 19th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
hello

Default When Airline Pilots WON'T speak ENGLISH!!!

The FO does most of the communications; they don't trust my perfect
English. In South Fl if you speak good English you can't communicate
properly. I have had a lot of fun with my language in Miami. Most people
(latins) assume I don't speak or understand Spanish, and it is quite funny
when they talk about me (in Spanish) in front of me without knowing I
understand.

All joking aside, communications is one of my pet peeve's in the cockpit.
With so many inexperienced and foreign FO's, they have terrible and poor
communication skills. There is one African FO, that answers "OK!" to all ATC
instructions. Never reads back anything, and most of the time doesn't even
know what they told him. I like the guy, but he has no place flying until he
can understand English. He is the only guy I ever lost my cool with. When I
fly with him, and it is my leg, I do all the flying and all the
communicating.
I fly pretty good, so far I haven't broken an airplane, so I guess that
accounts for something. Considering some of the FO's I fly with lately, that
makes an above average Pilot (in my opinion). I haven't flown a light single
in years, so my brother doesn't let me land his airplane, as most jet
pilots, I have a tendency to start my flare way too high when flying a light
single.