Old October 19th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default When Airline Pilots WON'T speak ENGLISH!!!

Shirl wrote in
:

"hello" wrote:
The FO does most of the communications; they don't trust my perfect
English. In South Fl if you speak good English you can't communicate
properly. I have had a lot of fun with my language in Miami. Most
people (latins) assume I don't speak or understand Spanish, and it is
quite funny when they talk about me (in Spanish) in front of me
without knowing I understand.

All joking aside, communications is one of my pet peeve's in the
cockpit. With so many inexperienced and foreign FO's, they have
terrible and poor communication skills. There is one African FO, that
answers "OK!" to all ATC instructions. Never reads back anything, and
most of the time doesn't even know what they told him. I like the
guy, but he has no place flying until he can understand English. He
is the only guy I ever lost my cool with. When I fly with him, and it
is my leg, I do all the flying and all the communicating.
I fly pretty good, so far I haven't broken an airplane, so I guess
that
accounts for something. Considering some of the FO's I fly with
lately, that makes an above average Pilot (in my opinion). I haven't
flown a light single in years, so my brother doesn't let me land his
airplane, as most jet pilots, I have a tendency to start my flare way
too high when flying a light single.

Thank you. We thought it was only here in AZ, where a lot of aspiring
airline pilots come to put in time since there are so many
good-weather flying days here. Nothing worse than being in the pattern
at an uncontrolled airport and hearing, "FDVHUdscr Trafffick, Cessna
^%#s9, &&VSs, Gobbledegoop 1 mile, VFSDGXCxss, FDVHUdscr Traffick."

Huh? 1 mile WHERE? How do these people pass the oral exam? Do they
understand US? Do they care?

You ought to hear some US pilots abroad.....

Bertie