CAP vs. GC Aux

Old July 31st 05, 06:30 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default CAP vs. GC Aux

I'm still pretty new in CAP. One thing I've realized is that it takes
at least a year or two before you can actually fly missions. There are
lots and lots and lots of training courses and certifications you much
receive first.
I've also noticed that we have a Coast Guard Auxiliary in town
(Sacramento) with an active aviation unit. What is the difference to a
pilot (in terms of training, missions, aircraft) between CG and AF aux?

BTW: I heard rumor that CG aux get full BX priv's while CAP only get
uniform BX privs.

-Robert, CFI

Old July 31st 05, 09:06 PM
Newps

It takes a full year to make you one of the dumbest pilots in the sky.
CAP pilots are well known to be so far behind their 182 they wouldn't be
hurt in the crash.

Old July 31st 05, 09:15 PM
Hotel 179

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm still pretty new in CAP. One thing I've realized is that it takes
at least a year or two before you can actually fly missions. There are
lots and lots and lots of training courses and certifications you much
receive first.
I've also noticed that we have a Coast Guard Auxiliary in town
(Sacramento) with an active aviation unit. What is the difference to a
pilot (in terms of training, missions, aircraft) between CG and AF aux?

BTW: I heard rumor that CG aux get full BX priv's while CAP only get
uniform BX privs.

-Robert, CFI

----------------------------------------reply--------------------------------------------

Robert,

Where are you a CAP member? A CAPF 5 checkride takes no time at all. With
your CFI you could breeze the CAPF 91 Mission Pilot checkride.....if you
have been told that it takes a year, someone has misrepresented the program.

Several friends of mine are Coast Guard Aux members. Down here on the Gulf
of Mexico, we work closely together. We have a Super-Wal-Mart in town

Semper vi,

Stephen
Baldwin County Composite Squadron
ALWG

Old July 31st 05, 10:04 PM
Bob Gardner

No way do CG Auxiliary members get ANY base privileges.

Bob Gardner
USCG (Ret)

Old August 1st 05, 01:37 AM
Robert M. Gary

Strange, since they tend to have more recurrent training than most 206
(and 182) pilots. CAP members have to take a private checkride every 12
months.

Old August 1st 05, 01:40 AM
Robert M. Gary

It may be different here in California. I'm told that before I can take
the 91 ride I need some other things including...
1) General Emergency Serivices training
2) Spotter certification (lots of classes and in flight training)
3) UDF operator (to locate ELTs) (again lots of classes and hands on
training)
4) Pilot tech. certificate

I'm also told that Nomex is 100% required for all missions. I guess we
had a CAP flight go down a while back and some guys burned. Of course,
just like anything else you can wear either the AF Nomex or the CAP
Nomex. CAP is blue, AF is olive, both feel great when its 110F outside
For orientation rides you can wear any AF or CAP uniform, including
(this is recent) the gold shirt.

-Robert

Old August 1st 05, 01:41 AM
Ronald Gardner

Yes CAP requires a lot of training! However in order to do the job
correctly and professionally it is the only way. You don't want to be a
yahoo do gooder that can't find a downed pilot that you should have found
and then try to explain it to the family why you failed. It happens even
with the best training, it is a tough job under ideal conditions and most
of the time they are not ideal when you are needed. I am a qualified right
seater and scanner, I am still working towards Command Pilot but until I am
sure I can do the job 100% I will not take the check ride. I joined
because as a pilot, if I need the help some day, I want to know there are
people willing to volunteer their time to be Professional SAR personnel.
Same goes for if you live in a community served by a Volunteer Fire Dept.,
if you need them you want them to know what they are doing i.e. trained and
you should be willing to support them in case you need them in return some
day.

Old August 1st 05, 01:42 AM
Ray Bengen

Disagree.

http://www.acap.army.mil/transitione...ct%20Sheet.pdf

CGAUX pilot training and certification is more bureaucratic than CAP in my
opinion and experience. CAP provide aircraft to fly, CGAUX doesn't
normally.

Both are great organizations with their own unique BS's.

Join and fly in both if you can.

Old August 1st 05, 01:46 AM
Ronald Gardner

Spoken like someone who thinks he is all knowing and the gods gift to
flying! Glad I you are not my CFI. As your statement shows a level of
knowledge and thought of a true moron!

Old August 1st 05, 02:20 AM
Hotel 179

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
It may be different here in California. I'm told that before I can take
the 91 ride I need some other things including...
1) General Emergency Serivices training
2) Spotter certification (lots of classes and in flight training)
3) UDF operator (to locate ELTs) (again lots of classes and hands on
training)
4) Pilot tech. certificate

I'm also told that Nomex is 100% required for all missions. I guess we
had a CAP flight go down a while back and some guys burned. Of course,
just like anything else you can wear either the AF Nomex or the CAP
Nomex. CAP is blue, AF is olive, both feel great when its 110F outside
For orientation rides you can wear any AF or CAP uniform, including
(this is recent) the gold shirt.

-Robert

Hello Robert and everyone,

The CAP regs are the same down here south of I-10....it's just the General
Emergency Services Qual doesn't take that long....have you looked at the 116
exam? Once you've taken it, you are GES qual'd. The preparation is not
difficult.

Have you started completing the SQTR for Scanner/Observer? I see in the CAP
data base that you are listed as an SM. Talk to the Professional
Development guy in CA151 and ask about rank, if that's important to you.
Find someone to mentor you through the process. If they are a SET qual'd
that's even better.

Again, get started filling out the SQTR for Urban DF. It ain't rocket
science. We use the Little L-per and a Tracker. Look in the publications
section of the National HQ website and find the pamphlet on ELT
searches.....a few pictures and not much plot but it tells you everything
that you need to know.

If the Nomex flight suits are required, it's a local thing for your group.
I wear it on missions but not on other flights such as Cadet O-rides, travel
to meetings, or currency rides.

If you need mission participation credit, plan a trip to LA, the Redneck
Riviera. We fly missions Thursday through Sunday this time of year.

Semper vi.,

Stephen
Foley, Alabama
AL112