Where can I get dual instruction in a glider with flaps? (USA)

Old August 18th 12, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Where can I get dual instruction in a glider with flaps? (USA)

I'm looking for someplace in the USA to get dual instruction in a glider that has flaps. (yet another reason to regret the grounding of the L-13s)
Old August 18th 12, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Friday, August 17, 2012 7:39:56 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'm looking for someplace in the USA to get dual instruction in a glider that has flaps. (yet another reason to regret the grounding of the L-13s)

FWIW - the flaps in the L-13 are more-or-less for show only. They really aren't preparation for something like an ASW-20 with "real" drag and lift producing flaps. I guess it gives you something to do with your left hand.

In answer to your question though, there aren't a lot of ships that fit that bill. Our club had several Larks (had being the operative word - we're almost to Black Ace status) which would have done the trick. I'd look around for someone with a Janus.

P3
Old August 18th 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

SoaringNV in Minden NV has a Duo Discus.
Old August 18th 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 17, 2012 4:39:56 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'm looking for someplace in the USA to get dual instruction in a glider that has flaps. (yet another reason to regret the grounding of the L-13s)

They have a Lark at Dillingham Airfield, Oahu, HI.

Bart
Old August 18th 12, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Duo is unflapped.

Kirk
66
Old August 18th 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

What kind of flaps? Speed flaps? Really doesnt require dual - read up on the theory and go out and try it out. Landing flaps? Good instructor briefing and a high tow to play with the various settings (stalls can be interesting with flaps in some ships).

90 degree flaps require a good understanding of how they work a a good briefing by someone experienced in them. Then high tow and try them - they are great!

Kirk
66

Old August 18th 12, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Can

On Friday, August 17, 2012 4:39:56 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'm looking for someplace in the USA to get dual instruction in a glider that has flaps. (yet another reason to regret the grounding of the L-13s)

Can't you find someone with an ASH25? Williams Soaring has one or access to one, don't know if they would give instruction but it's worth a call.
Old August 18th 12, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

On Aug 18, 12:21*am, jfitch wrote:
Can

On Friday, August 17, 2012 4:39:56 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'm looking for someplace in the USA to get dual instruction in a glider that has flaps. *(yet another reason to regret the grounding of the L-13s)

Can't you find someone with an ASH25? Williams Soaring has one or access to one, don't know if they would give instruction but it's worth a call.

What ship are you training to fly in? I fly an all-flapped 1-35 and
there are some good written reviews on how to fly them. Also the HP
site has some great guidance. L-13s do have functional flaps, but
really only for thermalling slow, not much as a landing aid. The Duo
does have flaps, but they are interconnected with brakes,
Old August 18th 12, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Duster" wrote in message

On Aug 18, 12:21 am, jfitch wrote:
Can

On Friday, August 17, 2012 4:39:56 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'm looking for someplace in the USA to get dual instruction in a
glider that has flaps. (yet another reason to regret the grounding of
the L-13s)

Can't you find someone with an ASH25? Williams Soaring has one or access
to one, don't know if they would give instruction but it's worth a call.

What ship are you training to fly in? I fly an all-flapped 1-35 and
there are some good written reviews on how to fly them. Also the HP
site has some great guidance. L-13s do have functional flaps, but
really only for thermalling slow, not much as a landing aid. The Duo
does have flaps, but they are interconnected with brakes,

One of the basic HP article referenced above is
http://tinyurl.com/First-HP-Flight
It applies to the 1-35, Zuni, BG-12/16, etc. as well as Schreder designs.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder