Lanceair

Old September 1st 04, 02:41 AM
Dico Reyers

Default Lanceair

Hello,

I'm posting this message for a friend who's looking to build a
Lanceair for someone who may not have the time to build one
themselves.

He's a retired mechanic having worked for Air Canada for many years on
everything up to the 747.

Anyhow, if you want a Lanceair however can't build one... drop me an
email at and I can forward you his telephone
number so that you can contact him.

He's located in Prince Edward Island, Canada (CYYG).

-Dico
Old September 1st 04, 03:51 PM
Dude

I would recommend someone to build a lancair who can't figure out how to
post his own message?

Right.

I am concluding some business with a guy who doesn't have email, and am
about ready to make it a requirement to be one of my CUSTOMERS! What a
hassle. I need to charge double to pay for the extra meetings, fax refills,
frustration, etc.

om...

Old September 2nd 04, 02:12 AM
Jerry Springer

What an IDIOT you are DUDE, not everyone in this world is interested in having a
computer. I would not have you build anything for me if that was your criteria.

Jerry

Old September 2nd 04, 03:52 AM
Dave Hyde

Dude wrote...

I would recommend someone to build a lancair who can't
figure out how to post his own message?

Didn't know access to a computer was a requirement to
build an airplane.

Dave 'tune in, turn on, nod off' Hyde

Old September 2nd 04, 03:38 PM
Dude

No, its not a requirement to have a computer to build a plane.

Did you not read the post? Do you work for the press? With an ability to
take messages out of context like that, I would be happy to recommend you
position with any of the major media providers.

Its a requirement for someone I want to do business with. Now, if he has
built the machine, and I want to buy it, then maybe thats different. But
there is no way I would want to go through the process of trying to
communicate with a guy while my plane is getting built when he has no email.
I would likely want to see an occasional photo, so unless he plans to use
FedEx a lot, how would I get those?

Don't say USPS, don't even go there!

Besides that, someone more technical would likely be my first choice anyway,
for a new composite. How else will he get quick access to all the resources
the web offers for builders?

Unless he is the foremost expert in the field, then his lack of ability to
communicate quickly and easily with others is going to be an issue.

I really think you need to reconsider your position. This isn't high wing
v. low wing, or conventional v. nose wheel here.

Old September 2nd 04, 09:47 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Jerry Springer wrote:

What an IDIOT you are DUDE...

That's a pretty strong response to a relatively moderate post.

I'm with Dude on this one. If it was me, I'd also probably think twice
or thrice before hiring someone to build a high-tech airplane like a
Lancair who didn't have email.

I've been farming out a fair chunk of composites development (plugs,
molds, detail parts, etc) lately, and by far the most effective
relationships have been with shops that are well-connected with the
Internet. With the shop doing my fuselage plug and mold, I send
coordinates, drawings and sketches via my Web site, and answer
questions and recieve progress photos via email. With the shop that
did the foam cores for my wing, tail, and aft fuselage plugs, I sent a
fileset of planform and profile coordinates as an email attachment,
and later recieved finished foam cores via UPS, with online tracking
of the packages. Same for the shop that did the station templates for
the forward fuselage plug.

I wouldn't say that having a computer is a requirement for building an
airplane. That is provably false; by most measures the majority of all
airplane development and manufacturing preceded the development of the
pocket calculator. However, computers almost always do make it easier.
Furthermore, having and using a computer demonstrates the sort of
high-tech savvy that I like to see in someone who I'm trusting to do a
relatively high-tech job.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd disqualify someone just because
they didn't want to post to RAH. I don't happen to believe that an
opinionated nature and a thick skin are prerequisites to good
craftsmanship - present company excepted, of course... ;}

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
Old September 2nd 04, 10:34 PM
Barnyard BOb -

I'm with Dude on this one. If it was me, I'd also probably think twice
or thrice before hiring someone to build a high-tech airplane like a
Lancair who didn't have email.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Today, consider a computer an appliance.
Kinda' like a refrigerator.

Barnyard BOb - would you raise a cow for a guy without one?

Old September 4th 04, 04:54 AM
Dave Hyde

Bob Kuykendall wrote...

If it was me, I'd also probably think twice
or thrice before hiring someone to build a high-tech airplane like a
Lancair who didn't have email.

If I'd insisted that the people who worked with me
on my airplane have access to e-mail or own a comupter
I'd've missed out on the services of at least two
fantastic mechanics and technicians, AFAIK.

When I choose someone to do aviation-related work
for me I tend to base my decision on their
aviation-related skills, not IT skills. I want to
be able to find the guy in his or my hangar, not
in cyberspace. E-mail? usenet access? Computer
ownership? I don't give a rat's. I want physical
access to the worker and his work.

Dave 'virtual standstill' Hyde

Old September 4th 04, 04:59 PM
Dude

Great Dave,

Now please tell us, what are the aviation related skills of the person here
we have been asked to recommend?

What? We don't know?

What do we know?

We know only ONE thing - He could not post here, and so a friend did it for
him.

So, you go ahead and recommend him if you wish, but he has made a poor first
impression. He has demonstrated no experience. AND, he is apparently not
very computer literate. So far, not so good.

But, you go ahead and recommend him, or even hire him if you wish. Won't
bother me.

Bob Kuykendall wrote...